Start your Los Angeles area historic theatre explorations by heading to one of these major sections:
Downtown | Hollywood | Along Wilshire | [more] L.A. Movie Palaces | Theatres In Movies
To see what's recently been added to the mix visit the Los Angeles Theatres Facebook page.

A Visit To The Fabulous Mayan

I hadn't been in the Mayan for years. I was unable to resist when I saw one of the gates to a side service passage open as I was walking by one morning a few months ago. The beer guys were making a delivery and I followed them in.

I was kicked out after only a couple of minutes by a guy at the bar. But he suggested returning when the office was open to ask for a visit.

I did and got to walk around a bit. I'd never been on the stage there before so it was nice to see where the switchboard was (1927 original, still on a mezzanine stage right). I was also curious about what sort of access there was to the side stages from the main stage.

It's largely open stage left. Stage right you can walk under the switchboard. Also of interest was the fact that the grid basically curves around so you have full height rigging capabilities even on the side stages.

The updated Mayan Theatre page has a few photos I took during that visit as well as links to lots of great views by others that I've stumbled across in the last few months.

Also new on the page are links to some Federal Theatre Project posters of Mayan productions that are in the Library of Congress collection.

No comments:

Post a Comment