The Belasco / Follies Theatre
This color postcard of the Belasco, like many early cards, started as a black and white photograph. The card is from the Facebook page Photos of Los Angeles, a find by Ken McIntyre. By 1919 Mr. Belasco had left the premises and the theatre was called the Follies. The original photo, perhaps from 1905, appears in several collections including the USC Archives. See our page on the Follies Theatre for more information. The theatre, at 337 S. Main St., opened in 1904 and, sadly, got demolished in the 1970s. It was a design of Abraham M. Edelman.
More by Mr. Edelman:
Empress Theatre, 344 S. Spring St. (1903)
Majestic Theatre, 845 S. Broadway (1908) - with Leo W. Barnett
Shrine Auditorium, (1926) - with John C. Austin - G. Albert Lansburgh did the theatre