335 W. Main St. Alhambra, CA 91801 | map |
Opened: December 1921 as the Temple Theatre, owned by Walter Paul Temple. It was on the north side of the street just east of 4th St. The photo is from the Los Angeles Public Library collection. "Man Power" was a July 1927 release with Richard Dix and Mary Brian.
Seating: 861 was the number after a 40s re-seating.
In the 1923 L.A. city directory the Temple is listed as being at 319 W. Main and at 335 in the 1925 through 1931 directories. There's no 1932 listing. In the Alhambra directory it's the El Rey Theatre at 335 W. Main St. from 1932 onward.
In the 1940s and 50s the theatre was operated by Fox West Coast. The Edwards circuit took over in the 60s and did a remodel which, among other things covered up the facade and replaced the marquee.
Closing: It was closed following damage from the 1987 Whittier Narrows earthquake.
More Information: See the Cinema Treasures page about the El Rey Theatre for lots of discussion by Joe Vogel and other researchers. There are also comments of interest about this theatre on the Cinema Treasures page for the Temple Theatre in Temple City.
Also see the page here on this site for the Temple Theatre in Temple City, a 1940 S. Charles Lee building.
| back to top | San Gabriel Valley, Pomona, Whittier theatres | theatres by address: San Gabriel Valley, Pomona, Whittier | South, South Central and Southeast theatres | Pasadena theatres | Downtown theatres | Westside theatres | Hollywood | Westwood and Brentwood | Along the Coast | [more] Los Angeles movie palaces | Los Angeles theatres - the main alphabetical list | theatre history resources | film and theatre tech resources | contact info | welcome and site navigation guide |