Along with the East L.A. territory comes Boyle Heights, Belvedere Gardens and Montebello. If you're interested in the territory a bit farther east, chec out the San Gabriel Valley, Pomona and Whittier survey page.
Can't find what you're looking for? If you know what street the theatre was on that you're looking for you might check out the more complete Theatres By Address page. And if you have a name that doesn't appear here, perhaps the theatre has gone under different names at various times. The main Alphabetical List has all the variants.
-- Bill Counter
| Aliso Theatre | Bijou Theatre | Colonial Theatre | Joy Theatre | Meralta / Kinema East / Azreca Theatre | Nickelodeon / New Library | Unique Theatre |
| Alhambra Theatre | Alhambra / Capri Theatre | Garfield Theatre | Temple / El Rey Theatre | Alhambra/Superba Theatre |
| Aliso Theatre |
| Arcadia Theatre | Santa Anita / Cinemaland |
| Aliso Theatre | Bijou Theatre | Brooklyn Theatre | Colonial Theatre | Joy Theatre | Meralta Theatre | Monterey Theatre | National Theatre | Nickelodeon / New Library | Unique Theatre | Vern Theatre | Wabash Theatre |
Broadway - north of downtown
| Cinemaland Theatre | Daly Theatre | Federal Theatre | Starland Theatre |
Brooklyn Ave. / Cesar Chavez
| Brooklyn Theatre | National Theatre |
| Chinese Theatre | Cinemaland Theatre | Cineograph / Chinese | Fuji Kan Theatre | Kim Sing Theatre | King Hing Theatre | Linda Lea Theatre | Mandarin Theatre |
East Los Angeles
| Aliso Theatre | Aztec Theatre | Bell's Theatre | Bijou Theatre | Bonito Theatre | Boulevard Theatre | Brooklyn Theatre | Center Theatre | Colonial Theatre | Crystal Theatre | Family Theatre | Garden Theatre | Golden Gate Theatre | Ivy Theatre | Jewel Theatre | Joy Theatre | Meralta Theatre | Monterey Theatre | National Theatre | Nickelodeon / New Library | Royale Theatre | Star Theatre | Strand Theatre | Terrace Theatre | Unique Theatre | United Artists / Alameda | Vern Theatre | Wabash Theatre |
See the Westside Theatres section.
| Arroyo Theatre | Dayton Theatre | Franklin Theatre | Highland Theatre | Highland Park Theatre | Kim Sing / Carmen Theatre | Park Theatre | Sunbeam Theatre |
| Arroyo Theatre | Dayton Theatre | Franklin Theatre | Highland Theatre | Highland Park Theatre | Park Theatre | Sunbeam Theatre | York / Bob Baker Marionette Theatre |
See the Westside Theatres section.
| San Carlos Theatre |
| Cameo Theatre | Garmar Theatre | Montebello Theatre | Vogue Theatre |
| Monterey Theatre |
See the survey page about San Gabriel Valley, Pomona and Whittier Theatres.
| Elysian / Studio Theatre Playhouse | Palms/Belmont Theatre |
| Rialto Theatre | Ritz Theatre | South Pasadena Opera House |
Spring St. - north of downtown
| King Hing Theatre |
| Granada / Owl Theatre | Palms / Belmont Theatre | Rampart Theatre |
See the survey page about San Gabriel Valley, Pomona and Whittier Theatres.
| Bell's Theatre | Boulevard Theatre | Cameo Theatre | Center Theatre | Crystal Theatre | Family Theatre | Garmar Theatre | Golden Gate Theatre | Ivy Theatre | Jewel Theatre | Montebello Theatre | Monterey Theatre | Royale Theatre | Star Theatre | Strand Theatre | United Artists / Alameda | Vogue Theatre | Whittier Theatre |
1520 E. 1st St. Boyle Heights
This one in "The Flats" (aka Aliso Village) was running by 1914, originally called the Keystone Theatre. It didn't get renamed the Aliso until 1946. This 562 seat venue was running into the 1950s. For more information see the page about the Aliso Theatre.
3236 N. Figueroa St. Cypress Park
This 963 seat house opened in 1928 just south of Cypress St. The street it's on was at the time called Dayton Ave. In the late 30s the theatre was known as the Arroyo Seco Theatre. Presumably it ran into the 50s but the closing date is unknown. There's now a restaurant in the lobby with the rest of the building used as a warehouse. It's a 2018 photo. For more information see the page about the Arroyo Theatre.
3183 Glendale Blvd. Atwater Village
This house run by bandleader Harry Owens was decorated in a Hawaiian style with murals depicting mountains, waterfalls and beach scenes. It opened in 1941 and was running into the 50s. It's now retail space and an artists studio. The 2012 photo of the building as the Pampered Birds store is from Google Maps. For more information see the page about the Atwater Theatre.
250 E. Carmelita Ave. East Los Angeles
This theatre was running in 1929. It's been demolished. The block it was on has been incorporated into a park. For what little information there is, see the page about the Aztec Theatre.
4949 York Blvd. Highland Park
3878 Whittier Blvd. East Los Angeles
That may not actually have been the name for the theatre. There isn't much data. The proprietor was a G.F. Bell. When the theatre was supposedly operating in 1914 the street it was on was called Stephenson Ave. For more information and speculations see the page about Bell's Theatre.
3644 E. 1st St. Boyle Heights
The theatre's original address before the street numbering around 1924 was 4006 E. 1st. The location was across the street from the Unique Theatre. It was running from around 1915 until about 1923. For more information see the page about the Bijou Theatre.
410 N. Ford Blvd. Belvedere Gardens
It opened around 1925 and was running until 1952. The c.1932 image is a detail from a photo by Anton Wagner from the California Historical Society. The 700 seat house once had full stage facilities but the top of the stagehouse has been chopped off. The building is now used by a printing company. For more information see the page about the Bonito Theatre.
4549 Whittier Blvd.
This 916 seat house designed by Frank Meline opened c.1923 as the Red Mill. It got the Boulevard name around 1933 and a moderne remodel in 1937 by Balch & Stanbery. When the theatre went to Spanish language films it was rebranded as the Teatro Boulevard. The 1984 photo shows it in its 99 cent days. It's now the Huggy Boy Church, the vertical still advertising shows by 70s and 80s radio and TV personality Dick Hugg. For more information see the page about the Boulevard Theatre.
2524 E. Cezar E. Chavez Ave. Boyle Heights
This one opened in late 1925, a 900 seat design by Lewis A Smith. It was named for the street it was on, then called Brooklyn Ave. The theatre, initially a West Coast Theatres operation, was later part of various other circuits including Statewide, Century and Metropolitan. Thanks to Sean Ault for finding the 60s photo. After closing in the 80s it became a swap meet. It was demolished in 1998 for a subway station that never materialized. For more information see the page about the Brooklyn Theatre.
4907 Huntington Dr. N. El Sereno
This 750 seat design by J.T. Payne opened in 1926. It was later operated as an early acquisition by the Edwards circuit and, later, by Century Theatres. The 1954 photo is from the El Sereno Historical Society. When the theatre went to Spanish language films in the 70s it was rebranded as the El Cameo. The building survives, but now as retail space. For more information see the page on the Cameo Theatre.
605 W. Whittier Blvd. Montebello
It's unknown when this one opened but it was running in the mid-1930s. It was on the south side of the street just west of 6th. The building it was in may be the one currently on the site. For more information see the page about the Cameo Theatre.
4762 Whittier Blvd.
The Center opened in 1926 and got a big modernizing in 1939. But it was an always an also-ran compared to the Boulevard, Golden Gate and United Artists. By the 60s it was a porno venue and closed for good around 1971. The building survives, now used for retail space. The 2019 image is from Google Maps. For more information see the page about the Center Theatre.
1021 N. Broadway Chinatown
This house opened in 1964, specializing in films from Hong Kong. It's also been known as the Royal Pagoda Theatre and the Gum (Kim) Go Theatre. It closed sometime before 2007. The theatre space in the building is now used for garment manufacturing. In the 2014 Google Maps view we're looking south along Cottage Home St. toward Broadway. For more information see the page about Cinemaland.
3621 E. 1st St. Boyle Heights
This one was running by 1913 with an address of 3915 E. 1st before street renumbering. Thanks to Noirish Los Angeles contributor Ethereal Reality for finding the 1913 photo. The building survives, now used for retail, but its theatrical life ended around 1916. For more information see the page about the Colonial Theatre.
2806 Whittier Blvd. East Los Angeles
This was a 1923 design by Julian T. Zeller at Whittier and Camulos St., a big block west of Euclid Ave. Thanks to Charmaine Zoe for finding the 1926 trade magazine photo. After closing, the 806 seat theatre was used as a church and survived into the 70s. For more information see the page about the Crystal Theatre.
3526 Eagle Rock Blvd. Glassell Park
This 700 seat house opened around 1927 as the Glassell Theatre when the street was called Glassell Blvd. The theatre was renamed the Dale around 1940. It was part of the Laemmle circuit then later operated by Bill Jenkins. The image is a detail from a c.1948 photo in the Sean Ault collection. The end came with a fire in 1955. For more information see the page about the Dale Theatre.
2604 N. Broadway Lincoln Heights
Noted theatre architect Edward Borgmeyer designed this 440 seat theatre at Broadway and Daly St. It opened in 1911 as the Broadway and was later known as the North Broadway and the Lincoln before settling on being the Daly around 1938. It closed in the late 40s and has been demolished. For more information see the page about the Daly Theatre.
2922 Division St. Glassell Park
This little 400 seater opened around 1926 at the corner of Division and Avenue 30. Evidently it wasn't a big hit as it was gone by 1932. The 2012 photo of the building as a drug store is from Google Maps. For more information see the page about the Division Theatre.
4884 Eagle Rock Blvd. Eagle Rock
It opened in May 1929 with vaudeville and talkies as the Yosemite Theatre, a reference to its cross street. Seating was originally 900 in what was a semi-atmospheric auditorium. It's also been known as the New Eagle and the Pussycat. In the early 2000s it featured legit performances and was later used as a church. The 1972 photo is from the Los Angeles Public Library collection. The Eagle is currently vacant. For more information see the page about the Eagle Theatre.
El Sereno Theatre
Huntington Dr. El Sereno
This first house in the neighborhood evidently opened in 1922, a design by A. Godfrey Bailey. There isn't much more data but for what there is, head to the page on the El Sereno Theatre.
1944 Riverside Dr. Elysian Park
This 525 seater opened as the Riverside Theatre around 1927. As the Elysian and the New Elysian it ran until the early 1950s. It survived demolition threats for a freeway route and since the mid 60s it's been a legit venue known as the Colony, the Knightsbridge and, now, back to a name it had in the 60s, the Studio Theatre Playhouse. The image is a 2019 Google Maps view. Los Angeles Theatre Academy, a training group for children, now is in the building. For more information see the page about the Elysian Theatre.
3814 Whittier Blvd. East Los Angeles
This theatre, running c.1913-1916, was a half block east of the city limits at Indiana St. The location was across the street from the site of the Jewel Theatre, opening a few years later. At the time the Family was running the street was called Stephenson Ave. The building the theatre was in has been demolished. For more information see the page about the Family Theatre.
2211 N. Broadway Lincoln Heights
This theatre on the north side of the street between Avenue 22 and Avenue 24 was evidently around for only a couple of years. It's in the 1913 and 1914 city directories and its proprietor, a Mr. E.G. Dwyer, was advertising in 1914. For a bit more information head to the page on the Federal Theatre.
5502 N. Figueroa St. Highland Park
This 895 seat deco gem opened in 1936 as the Hughes Theatre. It was a conversion of a 1922 vintage building that had been an auto dealership and a market. By 1938 it was called the Franklin and under the management of the then-new Laemmle circuit. The 1940 photo from an unknown source was a post on the All Movie Theatres Facebook page. It ran until 1952. The building survives as warehouse space, with much of the interior decor intact. For more information see the page about the Franklin Theatre.
4511 Telegraph Rd. Belvedere Gardens
This opened perhaps 1926 as the Link Theatre with an address of 4483 Telegraph or, as it sometimes appeared, Anaheim-Telegraph Road. Sometime before 1932 this 512 seat house was renamed the Garden Theatre. It was running into the early 50s but its site is now under the 710, just east of Eastern Ave. For more information see the page about the Garden Theatre.
2325 W. Whittier Blvd. Montebello
The name of this 1950 vintage theatre came from owner Al Olander's two sons Gary and Mark. S. Charles Lee designed the 998 seat house using a self supporting arched Lamella wood roof structure. Thanks to Stacey Kaye for the 1979 view by an unknown photographer. Pacific Theatres was operating the house when it closed in 1981 to be replaced by a strip mall. For more information see the page about the Garmar Theatre.
5176 Whittier Blvd. East Los Angeles
This 1,345 seat house opened in 1928, a design by Clifford and William Balch. The 1956 photo from the Los Angeles Public Library shows the mixed use building in front of the theatre that was demolished in 1992 due to earlier earthquake damage. The theatre itself had closed in 1986 and sat vacant for more than two decades. After a long preservation battle some features were preserved and the building reopened in 2012 as a drug store. For more information see the page about the Golden Gate Theatre.
1044 W. Temple St.
5604 N. Figueroa St.
Lewis A. Smith designed this 1,432 seat house for businessman Clyde M. Church. West Coast Theatres was the operator. It's now an independently operated house with three screens on the main floor with the balcony (with much of it's original decor) unused. For more information see the page on the Highland Theatre.
Highland Park Theatre
5630 N. Figueroa St.
When it was running in 1913 and 1914 the street was called Pasadena Ave. It was on the east side of the street a few storefronts south of Avenue 57. Farther south on the same block the Highland Theatre would be built in 1925. This one may have only been running for several years. For more information see the page about the Highland Park Theatre.
3937 Whittier Blvd. East Los Angeles
This house a block east of Ditman Ave. was running by 1914 when the street was called Stephenson Ave. It only seems to have lasted until around 1921. For more information see the page about the Ivy Theatre.
3817 Whittier Blvd. East Los Angeles
This 770 seat house opened in 1921 a half block east of Indiana St. Later it was known for the neon jewel on its marquee. It closed around 1958 with the building now used for garment manufacturing. The photo is a 2019 Google Maps view. For more information see the page about the Jewel Theatre.
2014 E. 1st St. Boyle Heights
This 807 seat house was running by 1914 as the Olympus. The location was almost across the street from the Meralta. By 1932 it had been renamed the Joy. The 1960 image is a detail from one located by Noirish Los Angeles contributor Ethereal Reality. The Joy got replaced by a post office in 1961. For more information see the page about the Joy Theatre.
Kim Sing Theatre
722 N. Figueroa St.
It opened in 1926 as the Alpine, named for the cross street. By 1939 it had become the Carmen in what was then a largely Mexican-American neighborhood. In the 70s and 80s it was running Chinese films as the Kim Sing. The building was sold in 1999 and turned by Willard Ford into a sleek residence and events center. Now, under new owners, it's also available for overnight stays. The photo is from the Kim Sing Facebook page. For more information see the page on the Kim Sing Theatre.
King Hing Theatre
749 N. Spring St. Chinatown
This design by Gilbert L. Leong, USC's first Chinese-American architecture school graduate, opened in 1962. The 525 seat house, originally called the Sing Lee theatre, ran films and the occasional Chinese opera performance. It closed as a film house in 2001 and was once considered for purchase by Quentin Tarantino. 2016 brought dance performances as well as a redevelopment plan. The plan went nowhere so it's sitting stripped out and vacant. The photo is from 2020. For more information see the page about the King Hing Theatre.
3355 N. Eastern Ave. El Sereno
This 754 seat house opened in 1940, a project of L.W. Cowper, who evidently operated it himself. Called the El Sereno Theatre when it opened, it later became the Mazatlan when it ran Spanish language films. Later it was a church called Film Pulpit, an American Legion Hall, and a music venue called Mazatlan Hall. It got a big remodel with new owners in 2016 and is now a banquet hall. The 2017 image is from Google Maps. For more information see the page on the Mazatlan Theatre.
2035 E. 1st St. Boyle Heights
This one was running as the New Lyceum as early as 1914. By 1918 it had become the Meralta, operated by Pearl Merrill and Laura Peralta. Later they would also have theatres in Culver City and Downey. It ran mainstream product under later operators until getting renamed the Kinema East and showing Japanese films in the mid-1960s. Later it was the Teatro Azteca in the early 1980s featuring Spanish language films. It's now a church. The Google image is from 2019. For more information see the page about the Meralta Theatre.
620 W. Whittier Blvd. Montebello
Well, that name is just a placeholder until it's determined what the theatre's name actually was. We have two photos but neither give us clues about a name. The building, on the north side of the street just east of 6th, dates from 1915. The image is a detail from a 30s photo in the Los Angeles Public Library collection. It's been remodeled, but the building still stands. For more information see the page on the Montebello Theatre.
2312 Whittier Blvd. Boyle Heights
This 1939 design by the noted firm of Barcume & King had 890 seats. It ran Hollywood product until 1965 and then began running Spanish language films. Later as the Teatro Blanquita it was a burlesque venue featuring performers from Mexico City. After closing in the early 80s it was a church and a TV production facility. The 1983 photo is from American Classic Images. At last look, it was for rent. For more information see the page about the Monterey Theatre.
2229 E. Cesar E. Chavez Ave. Boyle Heights
It opened around 1914 as the Brooklyn Theatre, when the street it was on was called Brooklyn Ave. It was later called the Poppy before getting the National name in the late 20s. The 1938 photo of the theatre closed for a night due to an anti-Nazi demonstration is from the UCLA Daily News collection. The closing date is unknown. There's now a 60s vintage building on the site. For more information see the page about the National Theatre.
New Library Theatre
2129 E. 1st St. Boyle Heights
This one just west of Chicago St. was called the Athens Theatre in 1912, The Nickelodeon in 1914 and the New Library in 1917. For more information see the page about the New Library Theatre.
5825 Figueroa St. Highland Park
This 620 seat house was opened in 1936 by David Cantor, a theatre owner from Washington State who picked Highland Park as the area with the best growth possibilities in Southern California. Later it was part of the then-new Laemmle circuit. The photo is one that's on the lobby wall at their Royal Theatre. It closed in 1963 and an adjoining retail store expanded into the space. For more information see the page about the Park Theatre.
5123 Whittier Blvd. East Los Angeles
This Fox West Coast house with 694 seats opened sometime around 1942. The location two blocks west of Atlantic Blvd. put it in a little cluster with the Golden Gate and the United Artists. Closing date isn't known. The building survives, now as a laundromat. For more information see the page about the Royale Theatre.
San Carlos Theatre
2917 N. Main St. Lincoln Heights
This 1926 vintage design by Lewis A. Smith for West Coast Theatres was announced as 1,100 seats, a slight amount of puffery. Thanks to Charmaine Zoe for finding the 1930 kids matinee photo. Also known for a period as the New Lincoln Theatre, it was running into the 50s. The building survives with manufacturing and storage space in the auditorium with some of its ornament intact. For more information see the page about the San Carlos Theatre.
5058 Eagle Rock Blvd. Eagle Rock
This 503 seat house opened in 1922 as the United Theatre. Later known as the Eagle Rock Theatre, the Eagle Theatre and, finally, as the Sierra. The image is a detail from a 1955 photo by Alan Weeks. It's been demolished. The building now on the site dates from 1962. For more information see the page on the Sierra Theatre.
3029 Whittier Blvd. East Los Angeles
This one opened c.1913 as the Euclid Theatre on what was then called Stephenson Ave. It was a bit east of Euclid Ave. in a two story brick building that had a lodge hall upstairs. It evidently went dormant for several years and then reopened as the Star c.1921. It was running until at least 1923. It's been demolished. A school that was just on the corner has now taken over the block. For more information see the page about the Star Theatre.
2624 N. Broadway Lincoln Heights
4232 Whittier Blvd. East Los Angeles
The 990 seat house had a full stage and was for decades a major east side venue for vaudeville and films. The owner, J. Paul Swickard, brought in many stars for personal appearances and had them write safety messages on concrete panels then installed in the neighborhood. The 1936 photo is from the collection of the owner's son Donald. The theatre ran until 1952 and then posted a sign saying "Closed. We're home watching television, too." The building is now a warehouse. For more information see the page about the Strand Theatre.
3945 City Terrace Dr. City Terrace
This was a 1942 vintage house with 811 seats. The image is a detail from an early 1963 photo by Alan Weeks in the collection of the Pacific Electric Railway Historical Society. It closed and was demolished later that year. There's a church now on the site. For more information see the page about the Terrace Theatre.
3645 E. 1st St. Boyle Heights
The Unique opened around 1923 and by the 50s had gone to Spanish language product. It's not known who designed the 1,100 seat theatre. It was running well into the 1960s and now, still with its marquee and vertical sign, functions as retail space. For more information see the page about the Unique Theatre.
5136 Whittier Blvd. East L.A.
This 916 seat house opened in the early 30s and was much like others the circuit built in Pasadena, Inglewood, Long Beach and on Wilshire. The design was by Clifford Balch along with the firm of Walker & Eisen. In the 80s the theatre was called the Alameda, running Spanish language films. The 1983 photo is from American Classic Images. Later in the 80s the building was converted to retail use. For more information see the page on the United Artists Theatre.
2811 E. Olympic Blvd.
It's an S. Charles Lee design from 1941, originally with 832 seats. The floor got leveled in the 1970s for use as a nightclub and restaurant called Don Quixote. It's still in use as a banquet hall and events space. The 1941 photo by Julius Shulman is in the UCLA S. Charles Lee Papers Collection. For more information see the page on the Vern Theatre.
712 W. Whittier Blvd. Montebello
This 543 seat house opened as the New Vogue, a conversion by S. Charles Lee of a building that had been an auto dealership. Thanks to James Crystal Castro for the 1955 image, taken from a Southern California Edison safety film. The Vogue, running until 1966, was operated by Al Olander, who also had the Garmar. It's now a hair salon. For more information see the page about the Vogue Theatre.
3014 Wabash Ave. Boyle Heights/City Terrace
This was a 1925 design by the firm of Starrett & Payne located just east of Evergreen Ave. The photo looking down toward the theatre, the dark building in the distance in the upper left, was a find by Cinema Treasures contributor Tamitos. The 887 seat house was running into the 50s but it's now a vacant lot. For more information see the page about the Wabash Theatre.
| back to top - North of Downtown + East L.A. | Downtown theatres | Glendale theatres | San Fernando Valley theatres | Pasadena theatres | San Gabriel Valley, Pomona and Whittier | Westside | Hollywood | Westwood and Brentwood | South, South Central and Southeast theatres | Along the Coast |
| [more] Los Angeles Movie Palaces | Los Angeles theatres - the main alphabetical list | Los Angeles theatres - list by address | theatre history resources | film and theatre tech resources | theatres in movies | LA Theatres on facebook | contact info | welcome and site navigation guide |