2524 E. Cesar E. Chavez Ave. Boyle Heights (Los Angeles), CA 90033 | map |
Opened: December 24, 1925. It was initially a West Coast Theatres operation. The location was on the south side of the street a block and a half east of Soto St. What is now Cezar Chavez Ave. was called Brooklyn Ave. when the theatre was operating.
Architect: Lewis A. Smith. Robert E. Power Studios was the decorator. A card in the Los Angeles Public Library's California Index has data from the January 30, 1925 issue of Southwest Builder & Contractor:
A June 17, 1926 photo from the Workman and Temple Family Homestead Museum in the City of Industry that appears with "Brooklyn Theatre's Mysterious Bombing, 1926," a post by Paul R. Spitzzeri on the Boyle Heights History Blog. On the marquee: "Brooklyn Heights Improvement Ass'n Show." The film "Welcome Stranger" was an August 1924 release.
The image above is a cropped version of a photo that appeared as part of the coverage in a June 17 Extra from the Los Angeles Record:
Photos from the L.A. Times on June 18 that were located by Ken McIntyre. The caption:
"Building Ruined in Series of Early Morning Explosions - A photographic story of the bombing of the Brooklyn Theater. Left —Exterior of the partially wrecked playhouse. Center—An outside view of the demolished sidewall. Right—Officer O.D. Washburn getting an idea of the damage inside. Inset—William Graham, held by police in connection with the blast. His right name is said to be Graczefsky. [Times Photos]"
Also see Part One and Part Two of the June 18 Times article "Hunt Theatre Dynamiter" and "New Clew in Dynamiting" from June 19 and the June 22 story "Dynamiting Complaints Accuse Two."
Ken McIntyre found this item about a June 1927 ceremony honoring Fire Chief Scott.
By 1942 Eastland Theatres was running the Brooklyn. Thanks to Ken McIntyre for locating these April 1942 listings from the L.A. Times. He added them as a comment to his post of the August 1935 ad.
Closing: The Brooklyn closed in 1989. At the end it was once again running Spanish language product.
Status: After a spell as a swap meet called La Barata it was bought and closed in 1996 by the Los Angeles County Metropolitan Transit Authority. They demolished it in 1998. It was intended to be the site of a subway station that never materialized. The land is still owned by the LACMTA.
This photo appeared in the December 28, 1929 issue of Motion Picture News. It's on Internet Archive. The page was a photo spread featuring Fox West Coast theatres that had been decorated by Robert E. Power Studios. Section Two of that issue was the "Theatre Building and Equipment Buyers Guide," also featuring photos of many other theatres.
More exterior views:
c.1967 - A strange double bill: "El Cid" and "A Man and a Woman." In Spanish. Thanks to Sean Ault for finding this photo.
1983 - A view from the now-vanished American Classic Images website.
1987 - A Leo Jarzomb photo in the Herald Examiner collection of the Los Angeles Public Library.
2019 - Looking east at the vacant lot where the theatre had been. Photo: Google Maps
The Brooklyn in the Movies:
Looking south on Fickett St. toward Cesar Chavez Ave. in a shot from Joel Schumacher's "Falling Down" (Warner Bros., 1993) with Michael Douglas. Thanks to Craig Bryan for the screenshot. Here the theatre building is being used as a swapmeet called the La Barata.
More Information: See the Cinema Treasures page on the Brooklyn for lots of memories of a great neighborhood movie house.
Another Brooklyn: The National Theatre was called the Brooklyn when it opened at 2229 Brooklyn Ave. around 1914.
| back to top | North of Downtown and East L.A. | Downtown theatres | Westside | Hollywood | Westwood and Brentwood | South, South Central and Southeast theatres | Along the Coast | [more] Los Angeles Movie Palaces | Los Angeles theatres - the main alphabetical list | Los Angeles theatres - list by address | theatre history resources | film and theatre tech resources | theatres in movies | LA Theatres on facebook | contact info | welcome and site navigation guide |












.jpg)












The Brooklyn had a four-rank "Style B" Wurlitzer pipe organ installed in 1925.
ReplyDeleteThanks. I'll get that in the text.
Delete