| map |
Opened: Around 1940 as the Regal Theatre. The location was just north of Hollywood Blvd.
This 1948 photo looking north on Vermont is perhaps the only view of the theatre that exists. It appears in the Arcadia Publishing book "Theatres in Los Angeles" by Suzanne Tarbell Cooper, Amy Ronnebeck Hall and Marc Wanamaker. The photos in the book are from Mr. Wanamaker's Bison Archives.
Thanks to Ken McIntyre for spotting it -- he had it as a post on the Facebook page Photos of Los Angeles. It also shows up on Cinema Treasures.
The theatre is advertised as the Regal in December 1940 L.A. Times ads. There was no listing for it in the 1938 or 1939 city directory but it's listed as the Regal in the 1942 directory. Sometime in the mid-40s it was renamed the Studio Theatre.
Status: The theatre closed in 1960. It's been demolished -- there's a Bank of America branch now on the site.
In the photo of the theatre they're running "Henry V." Thanks to Scott Santoro for coming up with an ad for that engagement.
More Information: See the Cinema Treasures page on the Studio.
| back to top | Westside theatres | Hollywood | Westwood and Brentwood | Santa Monica and Venice | Westside theatres: alphabetical list | Westside theatres: by street address | Los Angeles theatres - the main alphabetical list | theatre history resources | film and theatre tech resources | welcome and site navigation guide |