4409 W. Adams Blvd. Los Angeles, CA 90016 | map |
Opened: August 4, 1926 by Lou Bard as Bard's West Adams. The initial engagement was a world premeiere of the film "Shipwrecked." The location is on the north side of the street just west of Crenshaw Blvd., in the West Adams district. The front of the building had apartments and offices on the second floor.
Thanks to the Ronald W. Mahan Collection for sharing this rare 1935 photo. Both "Way Down East" and "This Is The Life" were October releases. It's a photo by Peerless Photo Service that once was in the collection of Johnny Bresnik.
Architect: Lewis A. Smith, who had done several other venues for the
circuit. You wouldn't know it from the exterior but inside it was the
favorite Bard theme, Egyptian. The project was noted in an item in the January 30, 1925 issue of Southwest Builder & Contractor:
An article in the L.A. Times that appeared on the theatre's opening day, August 4, 1926. They evidently didn't run any ads.
Bard operated a number of other theatres including Bard's 8th St., later called the Olympic, and two Hill Street theatres nearby, the Town Theatre and the College Theatre. Bard's was the circuit that also built the Vista Theatre on Sunset Dr. in the Los Feliz area. Bard's Egyptian Theatre in Pasadena (later called the Colorado) is still running as the Academy 6. Bard also had the Glen Theatre in Glendale, and the Garfield in Alhambra.
A 1947 ad. Thanks to Ken McIntyre for locating it for a post on the Photos of Los Angeles Facebook page.
An item on page W-4 of the September 11, 1961 Boxoffice noted that Western Amusement Co. was the owner of the theatre and they were selling it to the Toyo Theatre Co. for exhibiting Japanese films. A complete redecoration was planned. Evidently this deal wasn't consummated.
An August 1962 item in Boxoffice located by Ken McIntyre noted:
"Allied Theaters, operated by Bob Helm, Phillip Hoffman and Sam Decker,
has taken a 20 year lease on the Bard Theater, 1,200-seat neighborhood
house, which they have renamed the Adams West and switched to a first-run policy. The Bard had been closed for the past five years."
A June 1972 ad Ken McIntyre located in the Times.
1973 brought Hollywood films back to the theatre but it soon closed for good as a film house. As a later black cabaret venue in the early 80s it was for a short time known as the Apollo West and Bard's Apollo.
Closing: Its last use as a theatre was around 1981.
Status: It's been a church since at least 1983, going through several owners. The current group, something called Iglesias de Restauracion, has had the building since 2000.
An interior view:
A rare look inside at the theatre c.2010. Sorry, the exotic original decor is gone. Thanks to Dallas Movie Theaters for posting the photo on Cinema Treasures.
1983 - The theatre in use as the "temporary home" of a church. Note that much of the 30s marquee was still intact, although missing all the neon. That newer vertical still had some of the "Apollo West" lettering on it. Thanks to American Classic Images for this photo from their collection.
2002 - Thanks to Ken Roe for this fine view of the west side of the building. It was a post on Cinema Treasures.
c.2005 - The theatre gets its pre-cleanup portrait by German photographer Martin that appeared on his now-vanished site You-Are-Here.com.
2012 - Looking north on Crenshaw toward the intersection with Adams. Thanks to Ken McIntyre for his photo, a post on the Photos of Los Angeles Facebook page.
2012 - Another fine gas station shot with a bonus peek at the stagehouse. It's another by Ken McIntyre that appeared on the Photos of Los Angeles Facebook page.
2013 - The cleaned up facade. It's a Ken McIntyre photo from another post on the Photos of Los Angeles Facebook page.
2014 - A look at the east side of the building and stagehouse. Photo: Google Maps
2014 - Acres of free parking. We're looking at the west side of the building. Photo: Google Maps
2018 - A closer view of the west side of the building. Photo: Bill Counter
2018 - Looking east along the facade toward Crenshaw Blvd. Photo: Bill Counter
A possible lobby photo:
This 1929 trade magazine ad for Mohawk Carpet was identified as a view of Bard's Colorado, the theatre in Pasadena now known as the Academy 6, when it was reproduced (poorly, sad to say) in the October 1992 issue of the Tom B'hend publication Greater L.A. Metro Newsreel.
While it's probably a Bard's theatre, it's not the one in Pasadena as the light fixtures and ceiling treatment are wrong, among other issues. And it's certainly not the Vista. Possibly it's the West Adams or the Garfield. The issue of Newsreel is in the Ronald W. Mahan Collection. Thanks to Ron for scanning the item.
More information: See the Cinema Treasures page on the Fox Adams for many historical tidbits and some nice comments about the Bard circuit by contributors Joe Vogel, Hadabob, Art1956 and Bill Gabel.
Pacific Coast Architecture Database has a listing for the Bard's Adams, however they have it jumbled together with the other theatre called the Adams at 1898 W. Adams Blvd. Also included are several items about the earlier project by different architects that was to be on the corner of Crenshaw and Adams.
The other Adams Theatre at 1898 W. Adams opened in 1914 as the La Salle. Another Japanese language house in the neighborhood was the Crenshaw Theatre, running as the Kokusai in the 1970s and 80s.
| back to top | South, South Central and Southeast theatres | Downtown theatres | Westside theatres | Hollywood | Westwood and Brentwood | Along the Coast | [more] Los Angeles movie palaces | Los Angeles theatres - the main alphabetical list | Los Angeles theatres - list by address | theatre history resources | film and theatre tech resources | contact info | welcome and site navigation guide |