3020 Crenshaw Blvd. Los Angeles, CA 90016 | map |
The news: The theatre is vacant and available for lease. The vertical sign says "866-366-0046 - Call Today"
Opened: November 14, 1941 as an independent neighborhood house called the Crenshaw Theatre. It's on the east side of the street a block north of Jefferson Blvd.
The lovely 1941 or 1942 Julius Shulman photo of the theatre's entrance is in the collection of the Getty Research Institute. The display cases have posters for the 1941 releases "Sing Another Chorus" and "We Go Fast." Admission at the time of the photo was 22 cents with Juniors getting in for 17 cents and Children for 11. Steve Milner notes: "The ‘39 Olds was Shulman’s, with his wife behind the wheel."
A fanciful early design for the theatre's facade by S. Charles Lee. What got built was noticeably simpler. The drawing is on Calisphere from the UCLA S. Charles Lee Papers Collection.
UCLA has only 621 items online from the Lee collection. See the index page on Calisphere. The thousands of other drawings and plan sheets have to be viewed in person at the UCLA Charles E. Young Research Library. See the finding aid to the collection for an overview.
A pre-opening ad. This one appeared November 10, 1941. Thanks to Mike Rivest for locating it. Visit his site: Movie-Theatre.org
A 1947 ad. Thanks to Ken McIntyre for locating it for a post on the Photos of Los Angeles Facebook page.
Marvin Wright-Bey, the theatre's manager from 1995 until 2020, notes that Stewart's operation at the Crenshaw location had difficulties surviving in a neighborhood that at the time was overwhelmingly white and Asian. Stewart went on to greater success with his venture at the former Rimpau/Metro Theatre, 4720 W. Washington Blvd. The Stewarts renamed that house the Ebony Showcase Theatre.
A Samurai Festival in 1986. It's an ad that ran May 16. Thanks to Gerald DeLuca for locating it for a post on Cinema Treasures.
Reuse as a church and for live events: The building had been purchased in 1985 by the West Angeles Church of God In Christ (westa.org), located just across the street. After the theatre closed as a film house the church began using it as the West Angeles Christian Arts Center and it housed the Spanish language branch of the church.
The theatre was later renamed the West Angeles Performing Arts Theatre. In 2018 the building's general manager Marvin Wright-Bey commented:
The theatre used to produce many of their own shows but later became a rental facility. The stage facilities were extremely limited. During Wright-Bey's tenure the stage was expanded and a new upper level created backstage to house dressing rooms and restroom facilities.
The projection booth became a lighting control location and the former cry room next to the ladies restroom was repurposed as a sound booth. The original layout was a men's room on the main floor and a ladies lounge and restroom upstairs. An additional ladies room was later added on the main floor.
The facility closed in 2020 as a result of the Covid restrictions.
Status: Since 2021 it's been available for lease or sale if you want to make an offer. In a May 2021 post about the theatre on the Los Angeles Historic Theatre Foundation Facebook page David Saffer commented:
"The thing to watch closely here is that West Angeles recently sold their land holdings north of Jefferson as they prepared for an expansion of their cathedral at Crenshaw and Exposition. So far nothing has been publicly released for this site but development has been announced for almost every piece of land surrounding it."
The lobby view toward house left. The table and chairs were there for a first reading of an upcoming play. Photo: Bill Counter - 2018
The stairs to the booth and original ladies room. Note the 1942 "Powder Room" sign in the upper left. Photo: Bill Counter - 2018
A look in from the rear of the auditorium in 1942. Photo: Julius Shulman - Getty Research Institute
The rear of the house. Photo: Bill Counter - 2018
A peek into the ladies lounge. Photo: Bill Counter - 2018
The view down from the booth. Photo: Bill Counter - 2018
More exterior views:
A 1942 view from the south. The Julius Shulman photo is in the collection of the Getty Research Institute. "Ruggles of Red Gap" dated from 1935. The co-feature, "Ellery Queen and the Perfect Crime," was a 1941 release.
Thanks to Noirish Los Angeles contributor Hoss C for finding the four Shulman photos in the Getty Research Institute collection. He featured them on his Noirish post #37138. See the Getty's home page for more about their collections. They have thousands of photos by Shulman, indexed by job number. See their Shulman search page to get started.
A little problem with a murder in the parking lot. Note the vertical sign reading L.A. Jazz Concert Theatre. It's a 1958 Los Angeles Examiner photo in the USC Digital Library collection. Thanks to Noirish Los Angeles contributor Gaylord Wilshire for finding the photo in the USC collection. His Noirish post #3262 also has several additional photos of the theatre.
The theatre's vertical in the Kokusai days. Thanks to Bill Gabel for posting the photo on Cinema Treasures.
A 1983 look at the theatre when it was running as the Kokusai from the American Classic Images collection.
A c.2013 look at the entrance by Ken McIntyre. It was a post on the Photos of Los Angeles Facebook page.
The south side of the building. Photo: Bill Counter - 2018
Looking north on Crenshaw. Photo: Bill Counter - 2018
Looking in toward the entrance. Photo: Bill Counter - 2018
The entrance doors and terrazzo. Photo: Bill Counter - 2018
The theatre from across Crenshaw. Photo: Bill Counter - 2018
More Information: See the Cinema Treasures page on the theatre, which they list as the Kokusai. The Cinema Tour page offers three 2003 exterior views.
| back to top | South, South Central and Southeast theatres | Downtown | Westside | Hollywood | Westwood and Brentwood | Along the Coast | [more] Los Angeles movie palaces | the main alphabetical list | theatre history resources | film and theatre tech resources | theatres in movies | LA Theatres on facebook | contact info | welcome and site navigation guide |