| map |
Opened: This location of the Iris Theatre opened in 1915. The business had moved from 6524 Hollywood Blvd., a location on the south side of the street opposite Hudson Ave. That theatre, the first in Hollywood, had opened in 1910 or 1911 as the Idle Hour. By 1914 it had been renamed the Iris.
This new Iris was in a storefront in a new building just east of where the Warner Hollywood would be constructed in 1928. The theatre reportedly had the first electric sign in Hollywood.
In the 1915, 1916 and 1917 city directories it's listed with the 6417 Hollywood Blvd. address. The theatre's name had been chosen (at the earlier location) as an homage to the nearby house and gardens of painter Paul DeLongpre, early Hollywood tourist attractions. This 6714 location put the theatre in a space south of the house that had originally been part of the gardens.
Status: The Iris moved again into a new building at 6508 Hollywood Blvd in 1918 and that theatre later became known as the Fox Theatre.
This block of 1913 storefronts wasn't demolished until 1995. Other tenants included KFWB after they had moved out of the Warner Theatre building. The DeLongpre house itself survived until the Warner was constructed.
The site of the Iris in 2010. The big hulk at the left is the Warner Hollywood. Photo: Bill Counter
The building on the left (this side of the Warner) is the one that housed the Iris between 1915 and 1918. This is one of over 800 images in the great book "The Story of Hollywood: An Illustrated History" by Gregory Paul Williams, available on Amazon. This photo is on page 352. There's a preview of the book to browse on Google Books.
The Iris Theatre building in 1972 after the original facade got covered. Thanks to the wonderful Bruce Torrence Hollywood Photograph Collection for the photo. That's a bit of the Warner building on the left.
At the left is the rear of the building the Iris Theatre was located in. We're looking west -- that's the side of the Warner Hollywood straight ahead. It's a shot from the 1984 film "Night of the Comet." See the Theatres In Movies post for more from the film.
More Information: See the Cinema Treasures page on this second Iris location. They use 6265 Hollywood Blvd. (near the current Pantages location) as the address for the business before the c.1915 move. The page has lots of confusion about locations and all three photos are of the later 1918 Iris.