| map |
Opened: May 27, 1937. The location is a block north of Beverly Blvd. The theatre opened as an independent owned by Betty Berkoff. It was later an art house operated by Herb Rosener, who also had the Laurel, Sunset and Studio theatres.
The photo of the theatre's opening from National Theatre Supply appeared with a story in the July 24, 1937 issue of Boxoffice.
Architect: Clifford A. Balch. It was a remodel of an existing building.
This 1938 photo of the Esquire appears in Marc Wanamaker's fine Arcadia Publishing book "Hollywood 1940-2008." It's on page 112 and can be viewed on the Google Books preview. The book is available on Amazon.
The Esquire in the Movies:
Status: It's been Canter's Deli since 1953. The projection booth, second floor restrooms and a photo on the wall are the only remains from its theatre days.
A 2005 photo by David Liu from the Wikipedia article on Canter's.
More Information: See the Cinema Treasures page on the Esquire Theatre.
| back to top | Westside theatres | Hollywood | Westwood and Brentwood | Santa Monica and Venice | Westside theatres: alphabetical list | Westside theatres: by street address | Los Angeles theatres - the main alphabetical list | theatre history resources | film and theatre tech resources | welcome and site navigation guide |