| map |
Dates: Opened c.1912.
It's listed in the city directories as the Navarro Theatre from 1914 through 1918. The address is sometimes listed as at 738 -- such as in the 1917 and 1918 directories.
In the 1922, 1923, 1927 and 1929 city directories it's called the Pico Theatre. In 1925 it was listed as the New West Pico Theatre. In 1926 it's the New Pico Theatre. Then it's back to just being the Pico Theatre.
This card of the theatre as the Navarro (with the name across the entrance arch) is the only photo to surface so far. It's on the site Worthpoint where they note we're seeing:
".. a large group gathered outside the Navarro Theatre on Pico Blvd. in Los Angeles around 1914. A large banner in front reads: 'We Show The Best - Mary Pixkford, The Sweetheart of the Stories, in Lena and the Geese.' A picture banner hangs below that. A photo finishing studio can be seen next to the theatre, most likely the studio that took the photo with the credit 'F.E. Parret, 738 W. Pico' written in negative."
1912 is more likely for the date than 1914. "Lena and the Geese" was a June 1912 release. Thanks to Joe Vogel on Cinema Treasures for spotting the card.
Status: It's still listed in the 1936 directory. Closing date is unknown. Now demolished. This site just west of Figueroa is now part of the Los Angeles Convention Center.
More Information: See the Cinema Treasures page on the Pico Theatre for everything that is known about the building. Which, sadly, isn't much.
| back to top | Westside theatres | Hollywood | Westwood and Brentwood | Santa Monica and Venice | Westside theatres: alphabetical list | Westside theatres: by street address | Los Angeles theatres - the main alphabetical list | theatre history resources | film and theatre tech resources | welcome and site navigation guide |