1408 W. Pico Blvd. Los Angeles, CA 90015
| map |
Opened: 1912 or 1913. It's in the 1913 and 1914 city directories as the Pico
Grand Theatre. In the 1915 through 1923 city directories it's the Sunbeam
Theatre. In the
1927, 1929, 1932, 1936 and 1942 city directory editions it's the Sun Theatre.
The photo is a 2011 view from Google Maps looking east toward
Albany St. We're on the south side of the street just about a block and a half west of the 110.
Closing: Ken McIntyre
reports on Cinema Treasures that it was listed in the L.A. Times in July
1952 -- but as closed. The 1956 city directory lists nothing at 1408.
Status: The building, which dates from 1912, still exists but has been remodeled. It's now used as a church.
photo is a 2011 Google Maps view looking east in the alley from
Valencia St. The brick building at the center is the back of the Sunbeam
More information: See the Cinema Treasures page on the Sun Theatre.
| back to top | Westside theatres | Hollywood | Westwood and Brentwood | Santa Monica and Venice | Westside theatres: alphabetical list | Westside theatres: by street address | Los Angeles theatres - the main alphabetical list | theatre history resources | film and theatre tech resources | welcome and site navigation guide |