Also see: Warner Beverly Hills - interior views
Opened: May 19, 1931. The first feature was "The Millionaire" with George Arliss. This opening week photo is from the Los Angeles Public Library collection.
Architect: B. Marcus Priteca designed "The Pride of Beverly Hills." Decoration was by the Robert E. Power Studio. Priteca also designed the Warner theatres in San Pedro and Huntington Park. He was also the architect of the downtown Pantages (1920) and the Hollywood Pantages (1930). The Warner Beverly Hills had a glorious career over many decades as a deluxe venue for prestige films.
B. Marcus Priteca's rendering for the Warner from the collection of the Beverly Hills Historical Society. Thanks to Kimberly Reiss for posting it on the Los Angeles Historic Theatre Foundation Facebook page.
Jack Warner, Jr. at the groundbreaking ceremony. The shot is from nine minutes of film from the Beverly Hills Historical Society on You Tube of the groundbreaking, the development of Beverly Hills, and the finished theatre. The film is narrated by Marc Wanamaker and includes footage that was screened at the opening shot by Warner Bros. of both the ceremony and the completed theatre.
Talking about the theatre, the opening night program noted that "It is not for us to tell you whether it is beautiful, but for you to tell yourselves." That message was also repeated in film on the screen, as seen here.
More of the filmed opening message. The 1st Anniversary film, also on You Tube, included footage of the festivities at the opening a year earlier.
The front cover of the opening night program. It's from the Mark Tipton collection. He found the program in Cincinnati in 1985. The front cover is actually silk screened on gold foil, which he comments does not photograph well.
The inside of the front cover of the opening night program. On the left you get a look at the gold foil of the front cover.
A welcome from Jack!
The opening night events.
A message from the growing City of Beverly Hills. Thanks to Mark Tipton for sharing his rare copy of the program.
VistaVision at the Warner: In 1955 the Warner was equipped with two of the special horizontal projectors to run the format, one of the few installations in the country. Scroll down the timeline for more on the process.
70mm at the Warner: In 1960 or 1961 the theatre was equipped with Norelco AAII 35/70 projectors and 6 channel Ampex sound for 70mm presentations. It was a four machine booth -- the other two were Simplex XLs. 70mm roadshow engagements included:
"Lawrence of Arabia"- 1962
"Becket" - 1964
"Lord Jim" - 1965
"Flight of the Phoenix" - 1966 - possibly 35mm, not reserved seats
"Taming of the Shrew" - 1967 - possibly 35mm
"Doctor Zhivago" - 1968 - moveover, not reserved seats
"2001" - 1969 - moveover from the Warner Hollywood, reserved seats
"Julius Ceasar" - 1970 - possibly 35mm
"Ryan's Daughter" - 1970
"Doctor Zhivago" - 1970 - moveover from the Paramount/El Capitan, not reserved seats
"Patton" - 1970 - moveover, reserved seats
"Mary, Queen of Scots" - 1971
"Sound of Music" - 1973 - return engagement, not reserved seats
"Gone with the Wind" - 1974 - 70mm blowup, not reserved seats
Operators in the 50s and 60s: After the consent decrees of the 50's, the Warner Beverly Hills was operated by the RKO-Stanley Warner Corporation as the Stanley Warner Beverly Hills and, starting in the late 60's, by Pacific Theatres as Pacific's Warner.
The final years: As the good bookings migrated to Westwood and more suburban locations, this once glorious theatre found the pickings slim and it became a second run house. After Pacific left it was called The Beverly Hills Theatre. There was a brief fling as a legit house in the late 70s. Then it had a spell of sitting vacant.
It was back to movies in 1980. A September issue of Boxoffice had a three page story on the Warner becoming Beverly Hills' first 99 cent theatre. Later it was resurrected as a concert venue named The Beverly (not to be confused with the other nearby Beverly Theatre). Evidently neither the residents nor the city fathers were happy with the noise or the late hours.
The Warner in the Movies: The theatre is featured in "Blood Theatre" (1984).
Status: Demolished in 1988 for a parking lot -- a sad day for Beverly Hills. One of the stated reasons for the demolition was that the bank owning the building didn't want to do seismic retrofit work and offered a possibly bogus $12 million cost estimate as their justification.
A great 1931 view looking down the street toward the Warner Beverly Hills. On the marquee is "The Millionaire - The Finest Picture of the Year" It's a Dick Whittington Studio photo in the USC Digital Library
Thanks to Marc Wanamaker's Bison Archives and Beverly Hills Heritage for this detail of the tower.
Looking south on Canon Dr. toward the Warner in a photo from the Marc Wanamaker collection. The Warner is playing "Born To Love," an April 1931 release with Constance Bennett. Thanks to Kimberly Reiss on the Facebook page Beverly Hills Heritage for the photo.
A closer "Born To Love" shot the same week in 1931 from Marc Wanamaker and Beverly Hills Heritage.
A Mott Studios photo with "City Lights" on the marquee. It's one of seven photos of the Warner in the California State Library collection cataloged as set #001387281. Duplicates of two of the seven are also listed as set #001387287. They have no interior photos.
Another "City Lights" shot, this time looking a bit west. It was a second run engagement -- the film had opened the Los Angeles Theatre in January 1931. Photo: Mott Studios - California State Library
A fine view of the original marquee. "The Finger Points" was a May 1931 release with Richard Barthelmess, Fay Wray and Regis Toomey. Photo: Mott Studios - California State Library
The corner of the building. Photo: Mott Studios - California State Library - 1931
Another look along the east wall. Photo: Mott Studios - California State Library - 1931
A tower detail. Photo: Mott Studios - California State Library - 1931
A 1931 night shot of the tower. Wow! Photo: Los Angeles Public Library
Bobby Jones is again on the end of the marquee in this view looking west. Jones made a whole series of golfing shorts for Warner Bros./Vitaphone in 1931. Thanks to Kimberly Reiss on the Facebook page Beverly Hills Heritage for the photo from the Marc Wanamaker collection.
It looks like we have bunting up for the 4th of July. Photo: Los Angeles Public Library
A ticket for the 1935 premiere of Max Reinhardt's "A Midsummer Night's Dream" with Mickey Rooney. It was a post on the Beverly Hills Heritage Facebook page.
Premiere night for "A Midsummer Night's Dream." Thanks to Marc Wanamaker and Beverly Hills Heritage for the photo.
A c.1937 view looking south toward the Warner. Photo: Los Angeles Public Library
A wonderful aerial view of Beverly Hills thanks to Marc Wanamaker and Beverly Hills Heritage.
A detail from the photo above.
A parade photo looking east from Marc Wanamaker's Bison Archives. It was a post on the Beverly Hills Heritage Facebook page.
A c.1938 Dick Whittington view east on Wilshire. We get the Warner on the right. On the left, just beyond the Brown Derby sign, you can see the dome and stagehouse of the Beverly Theatre. It's in the USC Digital Library collection.
Another Dick Whittington view from the same shoot -- but a bit closer to the Warner. It's on the USC Digital Library website. There's also a similar shot of the same vintage in the collection.
A 1938 marquee view with the theatre running "Valley of the Giants" and "Four Daughters." Photo: Los Angeles Public Library
A closer look at the Warner's entrance during the run of Valley of the Giants." It's a photo from the Beverly Hills Heritage collection. Want to enter the $250,000 movie quiz?
A c.1939 view looking east toward the Warner -- with a bit of the Beverly Theatre's onion dome on the left. It's a photo from Marc Wanamaker and Beverly Hills Heritage.
Rita Hayworth strolls Beverly Hills in a 1939 photo by Frank Worth. Behind her we get a view east on Wilshire toward the Warner Beverly Hills. The photo appears on a Padddle 8 page about the photographer. Thanks to Stephen Russo for spotting this one. For more on Frank Worth good places to begin are a Wikipedia article, a 2010 story in the Los Angeles Times and the many photos on Google.
A great undated view showing both the Beverly Theatre and, farther east, the Warner Beverly Hills. Thanks to the Facebook page Beverly Hills Heritage for the photo.
A postcard using the photo seen above. Thanks to Sean Ault for sharing this one from his collection.
A nice early 50s view looking east with a glimpse of the WB on the stagehouse. Thanks to Marc Wanamaker and Beverly Hills Heritage for the photo.
The November 1953 premiere of "Torch Song." It's an L.A. Times photo on Calisphere from the Los Angeles Times Photographic Archives at the UCLA Library.
A 1954 ad for the opening of the first film in the VistaVision process, "White Christmas," at the Warner Beverly Hills and the Paramount (formerly the Metropolitan) downtown. While at least one commentator has noted that the Warner Beverly Hills ran it in the horizontal format, that seems to not be the case.
The West Coast premiere of "White Christmas" October 27, 1954. Here evidently it was a conventional print. In New York it had opened at the Radio City Music Hall October 14, running in the horizontal format. Thanks to Kimberly Reiss for the photo, a post on the Beverly Hills Heritage Facebook page.
Horizontal VistaVision at the Warner: In 1955, the Warner was equipped with a rare installation of the special Century horizontal VistaVision projectors for the run of "Strategic Air Command." Perhaps it was the only film run on the machines at the Warner. Evidently this was the only theatre so equipped in the Los Angeles area. There's always been talk about the machines also going into the El Capitan in Hollywood (then known as the Paramount) but this seems to be untrue. The equipment at the Warner was removed in the early 60s.
The "Lazy-8" projector, an illustration from "The Horizontal VistaVision Projector," an article on Martin Hart's great site American Widescreen Museum. Also see his wonderful main VistaVision section. In Paramount's VistaVision process, the film "runs up" -- the feed reel was on the bottom. With 8 perforations per frame, the film speed was twice normal 35mm -- 180 feet per minute.
Other theatres getting the specially built Century projectors were the Radio City Music Hall (for "White Christmas") and the Paramount in Times Square. While Paramount photographed many films (perhaps 80!) in the process, only "White Christmas" (1954), "Strategic Air Command" (1955), "To Catch A Thief" (1955) and "The Battle of The River Plate" (1956) were exhibited using horizontal projection -- and these with only a few prints struck.
All the others were printed down to conventional 35mm "flat" prints designed to be shown at aspect ratios between 1.66 to 1 and 2.0 to 1. Special framing marks appeared at the beginning of each reel. At least one film also had prints done in 'scope format.
A 1955 ad for the invitational premiere of "Strategic Air Command" at the Stanley Warner Beverly Hills. Thanks to Martin Hart for the ad, it's in his American Widescreen Museum VistaVision section. The ad mentions their new horizontal projectors and big new screen. In the full horizontal projection format, VistaVision was ideally as wide as a theatre's Cinemascope picture but twice as tall -- a screen size that could be as big as was being used for TODD-AO or Cinerama.
An ad touting the virtues of VistaVision from a now-vanished Robert Harris article "Motion Picture High Fidelity" that was once on the site The Digital Bits.
The dimensions of the 8 perf VistaVision frame, from the Wikipedia article "VistaVision." Paramount wasn't big on true stereo sound at this point so the system employed Fairchild's Perspecta Sound, a system using inaudible low frequency control tones on the single optical track so it could be directed to any of the three stage speakers or the surrounds.
Frames from the VistaVision film "Vertigo." Thanks again to Martin Hart -- the image is from his Widescreen Museum's VistaVision section page 5. No, it didn't play the Warner Beverly Hills (or perhaps anywhere else) in the horizontal format.
The VistaVision process was later used for special effects work in many films, such as "Star Wars," due to its use of a large image area on standard film stock. And it morphed into a wider aspect ratio version, Technirama. See the Los Angeles Theatres Film and Movie Technology Resources for more about VistaVision and other projection processes.
The updated marquee in 1956 during the run of "The Ten Commandments." It was shot in VistaVision but no horiontal release prints were made. Note the SW (for Stanley-Warner) on the corners instead of the WB. Thanks to Kimberly Reiss for the photo on the Beverly Hills Heritage Facebook page.
A dazzling look at the opening of "Lawrence of Arabia" in 1962. The photo appears in Brad Smith's great Theatre Marquees set on Flickr consisting of 133 photos taken by his father George Mann.
A 1964 view looking west on Wilshire from Beverly Dr. toward the tower of the Warner Beverly Hills. Thanks to Alison Martino for the photo from her collection once posted on the Facebook page Vintage Los Angeles.
Thanks to movie palace historian Kurt Wahlner for this shot of the 1968 west coast premiere of "The Subject Was Roses" with Patricia Neal and Jack Albertson. It was a find on eBay. For a treat visit Kurt's extensive site about Grauman's Chinese.
Check out the people on top of the marquee. And note the signage -- Pacific Theatres had taken over the theatre from RKO-Stanley Warner earlier in 1968.
A mid-70s look at the theatre as a second run house. Thanks to Chas Smith for the photo on Cinema Treasures.
A nice detail of the top of the tower -- after the Warner sign came down. Note the added neon. Photo: Javier Mendoza - Los Angeles Public Library
A 1978 entrance view taken during the theatre's brief time as a legit house. Photo: Ken Papaleo - Los Angeles Public Library
End of the short legit era -- the theatre's for lease again in this c.1978 photo. Thanks to Bill Gabel for the post on Cinema Treasures.
A 1982 view from the American Classic Images collection. Also see the site's 1984 night view.
A 1988 shot of the closed theatre. Note the signage in use during its days as a concert venue: "The Beverly." Photo: Chris Gulker - Los Angeles Public Library
Looking in from the stage end of the building during the demolition. Thanks to Bill Gabel for the photo from his collection, posted on Cinema Treasures.
More Information: See the Cinema Treasures page on the Warner for an interesting history as well as a selection of photos. For a great compilation of information about 70mm runs at the Warner and other venues, see the 70mm in Los Angeles section on FromScriptToDVD.com.
There's some footage on Internet Archive featuring a wonderful drive down Wilshire in 1935. We see the east end of the Warner marquee at the beginning as well as a drive-by later. Playing at the time is the feature "Oil For The Lamps of China."
Pages about the Warner Beverly Hills: back to top - history + exterior views | interior views |
| Westside theatres | Hollywood | Westwood and Brentwood | Santa Monica and Venice | Westside theatres: alphabetical list | Westside theatres: by street address | Los Angeles theatres - the main alphabetical list | theatre history resources | film and theatre tech resources | welcome and site navigation guide |