| map |
Opened: August 1938. The location is one and a half blocks south of Melrose, between Clinton St. and Maplewood Ave. By the 60s it had turned into a foreign film theatre, later becoming a bargain house. Closure was in the late 80s. The photo is a Google Maps view from 2015.
Architect: Raphael Nicolais
Status: It's now a design establishment.
The Clinton in the Movies: The interior and exterior are both seen in Mike Jittlov's 1988 film "The Wizard of Speed and Time." A clip of a scene near the end filmed inside the theatre is on YouTube.
A 1983 look at the Clinton from the American Classic Images collection.
The Clinton as a bargain house in the 80s. It's a Gary Graver photo.
The theatre after closing. "Closed for Remodeling" in this case meant conversion into retail space. It's a photo by filmmaker and cinematographer Gary Graver (1938-2006). He took many photos of vanishing theatres in Los Angeles and Portland. Many can be seen in his compilations on YouTube: "Second Run part 1" and "Second Run part 2." Thanks to Sean Graver for use of the photos.
More Information: See the Cinema Treasures page on the Clinton.
| back to top | Westside theatres | Hollywood | Westwood and Brentwood | Santa Monica and Venice | Westside theatres: alphabetical list | Westside theatres: by street address | Los Angeles theatres - the main alphabetical list | theatre history resources | film and theatre tech resources | welcome and site navigation guide |